The problem is that it is hard to find good storage space. You may think of leaving them in your van for the night but this puts them at great risk. It is a great attraction to vandals. You may want to stash them in your garage but if there is no room there then that is not an option. That is why containers are such a convenient solution – they have provided tradesmen storage for many years and they can keep your tools safe. That said, you should be careful when you are choosing a business storage facility. Not all of them offer the same level of service. Here is what you should look for:
• Security is obviously key. You want to find a facility that has 24 hour CCTV surveillance in addition to other security on the containers themselves such as access barriers. Find out what their record is when it comes to break-ins and intruders.
• It is important that you confirm that you are getting a weatherproof container. When temperatures fluctuate it can create moisture inside containers and if you choose one that is not weatherproof your tools will be ruined.
• You will be getting in and out of your container every day so you want to find one that is on the ground level – tools are heavy and you don’t want to be climbing up and down ladders to store or retrieve your tools.
• How long can you store with them? There are some storage facilities that have very strict minimums. If, for example, you have a minimum of a month with a facility and things don’t work out there you are tied to them for that whole month. You should also find a storage facility that allows you to store for as long as possible.
• How long does it take you to get a container once you ask for one? There are some storage companies that make clients wait for days for containers to become free. This is an inconvenience that you cannot afford.
One Wakefield storage facility that comes highly recommended is Boylin’s Self Store. You can find out more on their website, http://www.boylinsselfstore.co.uk/businessStorage/tradesmen/